Tuesday 2 November 2010

would you like an apple?


Our team went out the other day to talk to people about food and Christmas food. As an incentive we had some apples from Fraser’s veg shop to hand out – in exchange for a chat. As we set out, I remembered a friend who, as part of Cupar art festival last year, gave away marmalade that he had made. He said it was a really difficult thing to do, that people were almost offended when he was offering them something delicious to eat – for free. Anyway we did manage to give away a few apples, though it was by no means easy!

We spoke to two couples in their 60’s who go to their families for Christmas dinner. Mary said she hated cooking; she goes round to her friends to have her tea cooked for her. Her friend said, “I go to my daughter’s. A couple of years ago I had 19 round, didn’t I Mary? Probably go to Asda to buy the food, not go to the butchers or anything, just get it all at once…and cooking from scratch – I’m from the old school!”

We then spoke to two guys in their early twenties. When offered an apple one said “I don’t like apples, honestly… my gran does the cooking at Christmas. I’m a really fussy eater… I only eat chicken and tomato sauce that’s it.” His friend said he has Christmas dinner at his parents house, where they have a full spread. They would buy most of the food from the supermarket, but go to the butchers for the steak pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment